Sunday, March 29, 2009

The China Study

     Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Professor of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University lead a study of 65 counties across 24 provinces in rural China.  It involved 6500 adults aged 35-64.  Dietary questionnaires, blood and urine samples were analyzed yielding over 347 data points for interpretation.
     Some key findings:
Fat intake:rural China 14% of total caloric intake vs US >35%
Protein intake: rural China 10% of calories from animal protein, US 70%
Total caloric intake of rural Chinese diet was 20-30% more that in US
     The diet consumed in rural China is plant based nutrition compared with the typical American diet based upon animal protein.
     The study analysis showed a tremendous difference in the incidence of "Diseases of Affluence", specifically cancer, heart disease and diabetes.  These diseases exist in very low rates in rural China compared to the US.  What's more, rural Chinese who emigrated to the US, adopting the local diet then developed these diseases at the same rate as native born Americans.  One finding I found to be particularly amazing involved a 3 county area in China with a population of over 400,000 in which, during the 3 years of the study, not a single person died from a heart attack.  In a comparable sized US region the rate of death from heart attacks is about 80 per year, so 240 over a 3 year period compared to zero.  I find that astounding.
     The effects of these dietary differences were also noted to impact other disease states i.e. kidney stones, osteoporosis, and autoimmune diseases.  The implications are broad.  Adopting a plant based diet can significantly impact the incidence and prevalence of the leading causes of death and disability in the U.S.  It will, however, take a tremendous change in our dietary habits.  
     Reading the China Study, as well as Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, has totally changed my perspective on diet and health.  I am now 2 months into my adoption of these dietary changes and feel great.  Join me, it's not as daunting a task as it first appears.   In fact it is quite simple.  Read the China Study, it is eye opening.

4 comments:

extramusical.com said...

heart surgery or angioplasty this robotic procedure is incredible

Flo Finklestein said...

I've read through all your posts for 2009 and found them all helpful. I can see from your profile that you probably don't have much time to blog, but I would truly appreciate it if you could tell us how that diet is working out for you.

I've got high cholesterol and have started a diet similar to the China Diet. So I needed to know which of the books on heart health out on the market are based on research and which on wishful thinking - and that's how I found your blog. Thanks for writing it!

Marc R. Katz MD said...

I have been following this plant based low fat diet for a year. It has actually been easier than I anticipated. There is work involved. I have read more food labels during this time that ever before. Benefits: lost 35 pounds, and dropped total cholesterol level by more than 30%.

Flo Finklestein said...

Wow - those are impressive results, and very encouraging to me. Thanks for responding, and I'll keep following your blog.